Healthcare careers focus on the health and well-being of patients, and advancing the cause of medicine. Work is performed generally in hospitals or clinics, but can also be found in offices, nursing facilities, and increasingly people's homes.
Check out the Illinois State Board of Education Career Guide to explore career paths!
Is this for me?
- Enjoy math and science
- Work well under stress
- Interested in human body
Job Facts and Wages
- $127,537-$28,812 per year
- Usually work a 40-hour week, although longer hours are not uncommon.
- Must be sure that all details are done and their work is accurate. Erros in diagnosis or treatment could seriously endanger patients' health.
Skills and Trainings
- Understand written and spoken information.
- Judge the costs and benefits of a possible action.
- Use scientific methods to solve problems.
- Combine several pieces of information and draw conclusions.
- Look for ways to help people.
Source: Illinois Pathways